Current Child Count

  • HOGAR DE AMOR I: 11 babies
  • HOGAR DE AMOR II: 6 boys
  • HOGAR DE AMOR III: 8 girls

Friday, January 22, 2010

We're Moved!!

{moving OUT}


The six children and volunteer Elena of Casa de Amor II are now moved!

Our original target date was January 15, but the owners were only able to turn over the upstairs on that day and so we painted. And painted. And painted some more. I have never painted so much in my life. And as a volunteer pointed out, we have probably never painted so many rooms in one day and so many colors in one day. (Although we returned two days more! We were all rather worn out by the day of the move.)

So the move ended up on January 20. And the whole city rose up in protest! Okay not exactly, but by the time I had hit the THIRD detour because of roads I always use being shut down due to construction, well.... It was also a blockade day. All the turmoil started just a block before the turn off to our new house. It took me 10 minutes to get through that block each time, and one time I had to jump the curb because a big truck was blocking the road's entrance. Fun stuff.

It was also a rainy, muddy, cool day. We decided we'd take the mud and mess because it meant temperatures did NOT soar into the 80s or 90s for once.
With the blockade, the cook/housekeeper was unable to make it in. However, lots of people did come to help. A volunteer and our physical therapist took the kids out all day. Several guys from churches came and helped with the heavy furniture and assembly of beds. We even had help from a guy from the street for several hours. He packed my car airtight! And I got his life story, totally unsolicited, during one of the hauls.







Another interesting quirk of the day: the lights at some of the rotundas on our main "highway" were pretty goofy. I snapped the picture below as I maneuvered through one intersection, only to realize I should have kept out the camera. At the next the lights were all burnt out, ha!



Right before bedtime I picked up the kids and brought them to their new home! I also took the 2 year old, currently in the Baby Home, who will soon move into their house. It was a fun time! We took them on a tour, then the little boys started playing with the guy volunteers/staff member, while the two girls were more interested in finding and arranging their things.

While we realize that structures and buildings and houses are not the most important, as we impact the little lives (with big potential) in our care, a cheery house does set the scene for quality home life!


{moving IN}


More pictures soon... :)

2 comments:

Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

Wait...who is the 2 yr old moving to house 2? I think I've missed something...

I've been a little out of the loop - a little stressed with work :(

Jennifer Beaty (Thompson) said...

It's E, the little sister of JK. They have just NOW decided that they like each other (they have almost never lived together), so it's good timing. :)