Current Child Count

  • HOGAR DE AMOR I: 11 babies
  • HOGAR DE AMOR II: 6 boys
  • HOGAR DE AMOR III: 8 girls

Friday, November 14, 2008

A Child's Prayer

A frequent comment about our work is "How rewarding that must be, to work with children!" With some, however, the victories are few and far in between. I am grateful to Kathy Alseth, "chief mother" of HDA III, for recounting this story to me via email this week. I have to admit that when I saw the subject line of Mayra, I had no idea what to expect! Although she's improved marvelously in her 11 months with us, we've had an uphill battle to tame this third generation "street child". What a relief to read this story:

"I am really sick right now with some kind of food or water bacteria! Mayra came over to me last night and asked if she could pray for me, all on her own without anyone else mentioning the idea. She laid her hand on my head and said, "Jesus, help me with the Tia Kathy. She needs medicine because her stomach is sick. Help her, Jesus, because I don't know what to do. In the name of Jesus, Amen." Isn't she just the sweetest! I've been praying for her for a lot of things and teaching her to ask Jesus for help when she needs it and this is the first time I've seen her do anything like this on her own initiative and for another person...and she even laid her hands on my head! I felt really blessed to see that she is absorbing these things because her behaviors don't show it a lot."

*By the way, Kathy is on the mend now but still weak. Join us in praying with Mayra for God to heal her sensitive stomach and other digestive issues! We are beyond honored and blessed to have such a family pouring their lives into our kiddos.

I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.
1 Samuel 1:27

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awwww......that's so sweet! I've never met Mayra but I love her already!