Current Child Count

  • HOGAR DE AMOR I: 11 babies
  • HOGAR DE AMOR II: 6 boys
  • HOGAR DE AMOR III: 8 girls

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Mt. Tunari Hike

One of the best things about living in Cochabamba is the MOUNTAINS! Our valley sits at about 8,400 feet above sea level, but the highest peak in the Andes that surround us is fully twice as high (a little over 5,000 meters above sea level).
I've gone with others to Tunari several times, but September 1 was only the second time I've finished the challenging hike to make it to the top. Here are some pictures of the beauty of that day!

Leaving the car and starting our walk...

Our little group!
L-R: Jake (Washington), Jen (Texas), Anne (Missouri), Jessica (Germany), Stefanie (Germany)
We all live here in Bolivia and everyone but me teaches at Cochabamba's Calvert school


This particular mountain ridge with snow was one of the best views during the hike


There were SO many llamas this time, they were our constant companions during the hike. Took me back to Texas, of all places, remembering when my sister and I each had a llama.

I was rather shocked at this picture - I know that's me, but I didn't realize I was so far ahead! I was making the push (and believe me, you have to be motivated at this altitude) to get to the view at the other side of the crest - all of Cochabamba flung out below us!

Jake, nearing the top. Yep, he got there first and might like me saying it. ;-)

The twin peaks of Mt. Tunari are right behind us

Pretty amazing day! :)

2 comments:

Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

I'm glad you mentioned who all the other girls are! I was wondering! Haha so you spent the whole day with a bunch of teachers!

beautiful pics. I wish I hadn't gotten so sick just getting to 15,000 my first AND ONLY time up! Throwing up all night from altitude sickness is NOT COOL!

Rudi and Carla Booher said...

It is great to see you enjoying yourself, Jennifer. You deserve it!